An operating division of SVI, the mission of NRL is to promote the quality of tests and testing of infectious diseases globally. It supports collaborative scientific partnerships worldwide in the promotion of accurate diagnosis and management of human communicable diseases, including but not limited to, blood-borne and sexually transmitted infections and is designated as a World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Centre for Diagnostics and Laboratory Support for HIV and AIDS and Other Blood-borne Infections.
NRL delivers a number of integrated services that support its mission including:
- Highly sophisticated quality assurance programmes including External Quality Assessment Schemes and Quality Control;
- Provision of scientific and technical advice regarding testing for infectious diseases
- Training and mentorship in laboratory systems with a sustainable, self-sufficient outcome;
- Pre- and post-market evaluation of in-vitro diagnostic medical devices (IVDs);
- Patient sample reference testing for HIV, HCV and HTLV;
- TGA-licensed screening of samples collected from blood and tissue donors.
NRL achieves success in delivering these services through collaborations and partnerships with governments, WHO and other NGOs, participating laboratories, IVD industry and academic institutions.
Learn about work in SVI's NRL.