SVI Patron - Gustav JV Nossal
AC CBE MBBS BSc(Med) Syd PhD Melb HonLLD Mon HonLLD Melb HonMD Mainz HonMD Ncl HonMD Leeds HonMD UWA HonDSc Syd HonDSc Qld HonDSc ANU HonDSc UNSW HonDSc LaT HonDSc McMaster HonDSc Oxon FRCP FRACP FRCPA FRACOG(Hon) FRCPath FRACGP FRSE FTSE FAA FRS
(Sir) Gustav Joseph V. Nossal was born in Austria in 1931.
He was Director of the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research 1965-96 and Professor of Medical Biology at the University of Melbourne. He is distinguished for his contributions to the fields of antibody formation and immunological tolerance.
- 1964 Research Medal of the Royal Society of Victoria Outstanding Young Man of the Year Award
- 1965 Junior Chamber International
- 1967 Fellow, Australian Academy of Science
- 1979 Burnet Medal, Australian Academy of Science
- 1981 Fellow, Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering
- 1982 Fellow, Royal Society
- 1982 ANZAAS Medal
- 1987 Advance Australia Award
- 1995 James Cook Medal of the Royal Society of New South Wales
- 2000 Australian of the Year
SVI Foundation Patron - John Theodore Ralph
AC KCSG KC*HS Hon LLD(Melb) Hon LLD (Qld) DUniv(ACU). FCPA FAA FTSE FAusIMM FAICDLife
John Ralph was born in Broken Hill on October 5th, 1932 and educated there by the Sisters of Mercy and the Marist Brothers.
He commenced employment with the CRA Group in February 1949 and completed his accountancy course with distinction.
After two years on secondment as Executive Director of RTZ Consultants in London, he was appointed CRA Finance Director in 1971; Managing Director of CRA in 1983 and Chief Executive in 1987. He retired as Chief Executive in June 1994. He was Chairman of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, 1999-2004 (Deputy Chairman from 1985-1999); Deputy Chairman of Telstra, 1996-2005; Director of BHP and BHP Billiton, 1997-2002; Chairman of Fosters Group, 1995-1999.
"It was a great pleasure for me to accept the invitation to become a patron of the Foundation. I have been aware for several years of SVI's world-leading work in medical research into important common conditions including, cancer, diabetes, heart disease and neurological disease. The research laboratory facilities at the Institute have recently been modernised and enlarged to serve better the needs of SVI's outstanding researchers and to attract new research groups.
While SVI has had great success in obtaining peer-reviewed support from Government and major funding bodies it also needs your support to continue to succeed and to bring its advances in research to application more rapidly. I ask you to consider supporting the Institute, which is such a significant contributor to improving the health and wellbeing of the community."
- 1988 University of Melbourne Graduate School of Management Award
- 1990 John Storey Medal
- 1992 Rotary Club of Melbourne Vocational Services Award
- 1994 Key to the City of Melbourne
- 1998 Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy Medal
- 1998 Sir Willis Connolly Memorial Medal
- 2002 Grand Cordon of the Sacred Treasure of Japan
- 2007 Melbourne Business School Distinguished Alumni Award
- 2012 Gold Palm of Jerusalem
- 2012 Honorary Fellow of Melbourne Business School