Head, Genome Stability Unit
Victorian Cancer Agency (VCA) Mid Career Fellow
2017 David B Frohnmayer award recipient
2000 BSc (Hons), biochemistry department, University of Melbourne.
2005 PhD, medicine department, University of Melbourne
05-06 Postdoctoral training, Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute, Melbourne
06-11 Postdoctoral Training, London Research Institute, UK
11-current Head, Genome Stability Unit
12-current Honorary appointment, Department of Medicine, University of
2000-04 Cancer Council Victoria Postgraduate fellowship
2005-06 Cancer Council Victoria Postdoctoral fellowship
2006 Breast Cancer Campaign Postdoctoral fellowship (UK)
2007-13 NHMRC CJ Martin postdoctoral fellowship
2012-16 NBCF Early Career Fellowship
2016-20 Victorian Cancer Agency Mid-career fellow
2017 David B Frohnmayer award
Fanconi Anaemia; Bloom’s Syndrome; Familial breast/ovarian cancer; DNA damage signalling and repair; regulation of ubiquitination; roles of DNA damage response proteins during chemotherapy.
- Kyaw Ze Ya Maung, Paul J Leo, Mahmoud Bassal, Debora A Casolari, James X Gray, Sarah C Bray, Stephen Pederson, Deepak Singhal, Saumya E Samaraweera, Tran Nguyen, Gökhan Cildir, Mhairi Marshall, Adam Ewing, Emma L Duncan, Matthew A Brown, Russell Saal, Vinay Tergaonkar, Luen Bik To, Paula Marlton, Devinder Gill, Ian Lewis, Andrew J Deans, Anna L Brown, Richard J D'Andrea, Thomas J Gonda (2018) Rare variants in Fanconi anemia genes are enriched in acute myeloid leukemia. Blood Cancer Journal 8(6)
- Sylvie van Twest, Vincent J Murphy, Charlotte Hodson, Winnie Tan, Paolo Swuec, Julienne J O'Rourke, Jörg Heierhorst, Wayne Crismani, Andrew J Deans (2017) Mechanism of Ubiquitination and Deubiquitination in the Fanconi Anemia Pathway. Molecular Cell 65: 2. 247-259.
- Winnie Tan, Andrew J Deans (2017) A defined role for multiple Fanconi anemia gene products in DNA-damage-associated ubiquitination. Experimental Hematology Mar.
- Paolo Swuec, Ludovic Renault, Aaron Borg, Fenil Shah, Vincent J Murphy, Sylvie van Twest, Ambrosius P Snijders, Andrew J Deans, Alessandro Costa (2017) The FA Core Complex Contains a Homo-dimeric Catalytic Module for the Symmetric Mono-ubiquitination of FANCI-FANCD2. Cell Reports 18: 3. 611-623 Jan.
- J J O'Rourke, A J Deans (2016) The FANCA to FANCZ of DNA interstrand crosslink repair - lessons from Fanconi Anemia DNA Repair in Cancer Therapy 2: .
- Elizabeth A Vuono, Ananda Mukherjee, David A Vierra, Morganne M Adroved, Charlotte Hodson, Andrew J Deans, Niall G Howlett (2016) The PTEN phosphatase functions cooperatively with the Fanconi anemia proteins in DNA crosslink repair. Scientific reports 6: Nov.
- Rebekka A Schwab, Jadwiga Nieminuszczy, Fenil Shah, Jamie Langton, David Lopez Martinez, Chih-Chao Liang, Martin A Cohn, Richard J Gibbons, Andrew J Deans, Wojciech Niedzwiedz (2015) The Fanconi Anemia Pathway Maintains Genome Stability by Coordinating Replication and Transcription. Molecular Cell 60: 3. 351-361 Nov.
- Helen Walden, Andrew J Deans (2014) The Fanconi Anemia DNA Repair Pathway: Structural and Functional Insights into a Complex Disorder. Annual review of biophysics Apr.
- Monique F Smeets, Elisabetta DeLuca, Meaghan Wall, Julie M Quach, Alistair M Chalk, Andrew J Deans, Jörg Heierhorst, Louise E Purton, David J Izon, Carl R Walkley (2014) The Rothmund-Thomson syndrome helicase RECQL4 is essential for hematopoiesis. The Journal of clinical investigation 124: 8. 3551-3565 Aug.
- Dale W Garsed, Owen J Marshall, Vincent D A Corbin, Arthur Hsu, Leon Di Stefano, Jan Schröder, Jason Li, Zhi-Ping Feng, Bo W Kim, Mark Kowarsky, Ben Lansdell, Ross Brookwell, Ola Myklebost, Leonardo Meza-Zepeda, Andrew J Holloway, Florence Pedeutour, K H Andy Choo, Michael A Damore, Andrew J Deans, Anthony T Papenfuss, David M Thomas (2014) The Architecture and Evolution of Cancer Neochromosomes. Cancer cell 26: 5. 653-667 Nov.
- Coulthard, R*, Deans, AJ*, Swuec, P, Bowles, M, Costa, A, West, SC, and McDonald, NQ ‘Architecture and DNA recognition elements of the Fanconi anemia FANCM-FAAP24 complex’ Structure 2013 21, 1648-58
- Walden, H and Deans, AJ. ‘The Fanconi Anemia DNA Repair Pathway: Structural and Functional Insights into a Complex Disorder’ Annual Review of Biophysics, 2014, 43:in press.
- Deans, AJ. ‘Fanconi proteins get histones moving’ EMBO J 2012 31 (17), 3511-3512
- ‘The DNA translocase activity of FANCM protects stalled replication forks’ AN Blackford, RA Schwab, J Nieminuszczy, AJ Deans, SC West, ... Human molecular genetics 2013 21:2005-2016
- Deans, AJ and West, SC. DNA interstrand crosslink repair and cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 2011 11:467-480
- MacKay C, Déclais, AC, Lundin C, Agostinho A, Deans, AJ, MacArtney, TJ, Hofmann, K, Gartner, A, West, SC, Helleday, T, Lilley DMJ and Rouse, J. Identification of KIAA1018/FAN1, a DNA Repair Nuclease Recruited to DNA Damage by Monoubiquitinated FANCD2. Cell 2010 142:65-76
- Deans, AJ and West, SC. FANCM connects the genome instability disorders Bloom’s Syndrome and Fanconi Anemia. Molecular Cell 2009 36, 943-953