Postdoctoral Research Officer
Email: [email protected]
ORCID iD: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2384-2983
2016-current Post-Doctoral Research Officer, St Vincent’s Institute of
Medical Research (SVI), Fitzroy, Victoria, Australia
2012-2016 Graduate Researcher (PhD Candidate), Biochemistry and
Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne, Australia
2015-2016 Lecturer of Molecular Genetics, Box Hill Institute, School of
Higher Education-Science, Victoria, Australia
2015-2016 Scientist Mentor, Gene Technology Access Centre (GTAC),
Parkville, Victoria, Australia
2013-2016 Demonstrator for the subject BCMB20005 Techniques in
Molecular Science, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Department, University of Melbourne, Australia
2011-2012 Senior Research Officer, Clinical Microbiology,
2009-2010 Research Officer, Enteric & Food Microbiology,
2019 HUPO 2019 ECR Travel Award
2019 Harold Mitchell Foundation Travel Fellowship
2019 ISN Travel Award to attend the ISN-ASN Meeting in Montreal,
2018 2nd ISN-JNC Flagship School, Alpbach, Austria attendee
2018 General Fellowship to attend the IUBMB-Advanced School 2018
in Bangkok, Thailand
2016 Australasian Neuroscience Society (ANS) Student Travel Award
2015 FAOBMB YSP-Travel Fellowship to attend the Young Scientist
Program (YSP) and 14th FAOBMB Congress in Hyderabad,
2015 ASBMB Student Bursary to attend ComBio2015, Melbourne,
2014 Poster Presentation Award, SOBR Student Brain Symposium
2014 Poster Presentation Award, 13th MPG Student Symposium
2014 Melbourne Abroad Travel Scholarship (MATS), University of
2014 Bio21 Institute Postgraduate Student Travel Award
2014 Graduate Student Travel Award from the Department of
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Melbourne
2014 Australasian Neuroscience Society (ANS) Student Travel Award
2012-2016 Melbourne International Research Scholarship (MIRS) and
Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarship (MIFRS)
2008-2009 NSICT Fellowship as an MSc Thesis Fellow from the Ministry of
Science and Information & Communication Technology,
Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
2007 Dean’s Award from the Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of
My research focuses on investigating the regulatory mechanisms of an important cellular enzyme called AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). The goal is to understand how AMPK cooperates with its upstream regulator and downstream effector molecules to act as a cellular ‘detection system’ to sense environmental stresses and availability of nutrients.AMPK, the master regulator of cellular energy homeostasis, is an attractive drug target for diseases such as type 2 diabetes, cancer, cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases. Deciphering the molecular mechanisms underlying cell death processes associated with neurological conditions is a key aspect of my research. I utilise state-of-the-art mass spectrometry-based quantitative phosphoproteomics together with targeted biochemical approaches in cellular model systems to address my research questions.
- Ling NXY, Langendorf CG, HOQUE A, Galic S, Loh K, Kemp BE, Gundlach AL, Oakhill JS and Scott JW (2020). Functional analysis of an R311C variant of Ca2+-calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase-2 (CaMKK2) found as a de novo mutation in a patient with bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorders, DOI: 10.1111/bdi.12901.
- Ling NXY*, Kaczmarek A*, HOQUE A*, Davie E*, Ngoei KRW*, Morrison KR, Smiles WJ, Forte GM, Wang T, Lie S, Dite TA, Langendorf CG, Scott JW, Oakhill JS, and Petersen J (2020). mTORC1 directly inhibits AMPK to promote cell proliferation under nutrient stress. Nature Metabolism 2(1), 41-49.
- Xiao M, Xie J, Wu Y, Wang G, Qi X, Liu Z, Wang Y, Wang X, HOQUE A, Oakhill JS, Proud CG, and Li J (2020). The eEF2 kinase-induced STAT3 inactivation inhibits lung cancer cell proliferation by phosphorylation of PKM2. Cell Communication and Signaling 18(1), 1-14.
- HOQUE A, Williamson NA, Ameen SS, Ciccotosto GD, Hossain MI, Oakhill JS, Ng DCH, Ang CS and Cheng HC (2019). Quantitative proteomic analyses of dynamic signalling events in cortical neurons undergoing excitotoxic cell death. Cell Death & Disease 10(3), 1-19.
- Roig-Puiggros S, Vigouroux RJ, Beckman D, Bocai NI, Chiou B, Davimes J, Gomez G, Grassi S, HOQUE A, Karikari TK, Kiffer F, Lopez M, Lunghi G, Mazengenya P, Meier S, Olguin-Albuerne M, Oliveira MM, Paraiso-Luna J, Pradhan J, Radiske A, Ramos-Hryb AB, Ribeiro MC, Schellino R, Selles MC, Singh S, Theotokis P and Chedotal A (2019). Construction and reconstruction of brain circuits: normal and pathological axon guidance. Journal of Neurochemistry 153(1), 10-32.
- Dite TA, Langendorf CG, HOQUE A, Galic S, Rebello RJ, Ovens AJ, Lindqvist LM, Ngoei KRW, Ling NXY, Furic L, Kemp BE, Scott JW and Oakhill JS (2018). AMP-activated protein kinase selectively inhibited by the type II inhibitor SBI-0206965. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 293, 8874-8885.
- Ngoei KRW, Langendorf CG, Ling NXY, HOQUE A, Varghese S, Camerino MA, Walker SR, Bozikis YE, Dite TA, Ovens AJ, Smiles WJ, Jacobs R, Huang H, Parker MW, Scott JW, Rider MH, Foitzik RC, Kemp BE, Baell JB and Oakhill JS (2018). Structural Determinants for Small-Molecule Activation of Skeletal Muscle AMPK alpha2beta2gamma1 by the Glucose Importagog SC4. Cell Chemical Biology 25, 728-737.
- HOQUE A, Sivakumaran P, Bond ST, Ling NXY, Kong AM, Scott JW, Bandara N, Hernandez D, Liu GS, Wong RCB, Ryan MT, Hausenloy DJ, Kemp BE, Oakhill JS, Drew BG, Pebay A and Lim SY (2018). Mitochondrial fission protein Drp1 inhibition promotes cardiac mesodermal differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells. Cell Death Discovery 4(1), 1-13.
- Dite TA, Ling NXY, Scott JW, HOQUE A, Galic S, Parker BL, Ngoei KRW, Langendorf CG, O'Brien MT, Kundu M, Viollet B, Steinberg GR, Sakamoto K, Kemp BE and Oakhill JS (2017).