Protein chemistry & metabolism
Senior Research Scientist
Protein Chemistry and Metabolism Unit
1997 BSc (Hons) Biochemistry, University of Glasgow, UK.
2002 PhD Biochemistry, University of Dundee, UK.
1996 Nuffield Foundation Scholarship
1997 Wellcome Prize Scholarship (1997-2002)
Regulation of energy metabolism by AMP kinase; understanding regulation of AMP kinase by metabolites and small-molecule drugs.
Understanding the regulation of CaMKK2 by multisite phosphorylation, and its role in mental disorders such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.
- Scott JW, Ling NXY, Issa SMA, Dite TA, O’Brien MT, Chen ZP, Galic S, Langendorf CG, Steinberg GR, Kemp BE, and Oakhill JS. Drugs and AMP unite to switch on naive AMPK. Chemistry and Biology. 2014, May 22;21(5):619-27.
- Perera ND, Sheean RK, Scott JW, Kemp BE, Horne MK & Turner BJ (2014). Mutant TDP-43 deregulates AMPK activation by PP2A in ALS models. PLoS One. 9, e90449.
- Scott JW, Oakhill JS, Ling NXY, Langendorf CG, Foitzik RC, Kemp BE & Issinger OG (2014). ATP sensitive bi-quinoline direct activator of the AMP-activated protein kinase. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 443, 435-440.
- Green MF, Scott JW, Steel R, Oakhill JS, Kemp BE & Means AR (2011). Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase b is regulated by multi-site phosphorylation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 286, 28066-28079.
- Oakhill JS, Steel R, Chen ZP, Scott JW, Ling NXY, Tam S & Kemp BE (2011). AMPK is a direct adenylate-charged regulated protein kinase. Science. 332, 1433-1435.
- Oakhill JS, Chen ZP, Scott JW, Steel R, Castelli LA, Macaulay SL & Kemp BE (2010). b-subunit myristoylation is the gatekeeper for initiating metabolic stress sensing by AMPK. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 107, 19237-19241.
- Scott JW, van Denderen BJW, Jorgensen SB, Honeyman J, Steinberg GR, Iseli TJ, Oakhill JS, Koay A, Gooley PR, Stapleton D & Kemp BE (2008). Thienopyridone drugs are selective activators of AMP-activated protein kinase b1-containing complexes. Chemistry and Biology. 15, 1220-1230.
- Scott JW, Ross FA, Liu JKD & Hardie DG (2007). Regulation of AMP-activated protein kinase by a pseudosubstrate sequence on the g subunit. EMBO Journal. 26, 806-815.
- Scott JW, Hawley SA, Green KA, Anis M, Stewart G, Scullion GA, Norman DG & Hardie DG (2004). CBS domains form energy-sensing modules whose binding of adenosine ligands is disrupted by disease mutations. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 113, 274-284.
- Scott JW, Norman DG, Hawley SA, Kontogiannis L & Hardie DG (2002). Protein kinase substrate recognition using the recombinant catalytic subunit of AMP-activated protein kinase and a model substrate. Journal of Molecular Biology. 317, 309-323.