Cancer & RNA biology
Post-doctoral Research Officer
2013 - present Post-doctoral Research Officer, Cancer & RNA Biology, SVI,
2006 - 2012 Post-doctoral Research Officer, Haematology and Leukaemia,
SVI, Melbourne, Australia
2003 - 2005 Senior Research Fellow, Cancer Biology, Telethon Institute for
Child Health Research, Perth, Australia
2002 - 2003 Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Genetics, University of
Cambridge, Cambridge, UK
1999 - 2001 Post-doctoral Fellow, Laboratoire de Génétique et Biologie
Moléculaire de la Réplication, Institut Curie, Paris, France
1995 - 1999 Post-doctoral Fellow, Department of Molecular Biology,
The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, USA
1995 Ph.D., Free University of Amsterdam. The Netherlands
1989 M.Sc., University of Leiden, The Netherlands
2018 Director's Award for the most outstanding publication by a
postdoctoral researcher in 2018 (SVI)
2014 Director's Award for the most outstanding publication by a
postdoctoral researcher in 2014 (SVI)
1995 - 1997 KWF Fellowship, Dutch Cancer Society
I am an experimental haematologist and cell biologist and use murine models and cell lines to study cancer development, genetic interactions and molecular responses. My genes of interest are RECQL4, encoding a DNA helicase with essential functions in DNA replication and repair, and SRSF2, which encodes an RNA binding protein implicated in pre-mRNA splicing. Both genes when mutated cause human disease, Rothmund Thomson Syndrome and Myelodysplastic Syndrome respectively, and predispose to cancer development.
- Castillo-Tandazo W, Smeets MF, Murphy V, Liu R, Hodson C, Heierhorst J, Deans AJ, Walkley CR. ATP-dependent Helicase Activity Is Dispensable for the Physiological Functions of Recql4. PLoS Genet. 2019 Jul 5;15(7) :e1008266.
- Xu JJ, Smeets MF, Tan SY, Wall M, Purton LE, Walkley CR. Modeling human RNA spliceosome mutations in the mouse: not all mice were created equal. Exp Hematol. 2019 Feb;70:10-23.
- Smeets MF, Tan SY, Xu JJ, Anande G, Unnikrishnan A, Chalk AM, Taylor SR, Pimanda JE, Wall M, Purton LE, Walkley CR. Srsf2P95H initiates myeloid bias and myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative syndrome from hemopoietic stem cells. Blood. 2018 Aug 9;132(6):608-621.
- Ng AJ, Walia MK, Smeets MF, Mutsaers AJ, Sims NA, Purton LE, Walsh NC, Martin TJ, Walkley CR. The DNA helicase recql4 is required for normal osteoblast expansion and osteosarcoma formation. PLoS Genet. 2015 Apr 10;11(4):e1005160.
- Smeets MF, DeLuca E, Wall M, Quach JM, Chalk AM, Deans AJ, Heierhorst J, Purton LE, Izon DJ, Walkley CR. The Rothmund-Thomson syndrome helicase RECQL4 is essential for hematopoiesis. J Clin Invest. 2014 Aug;124(8):3551-65.
- Smeets MF, Wiest DL, Izon DJ. Fli-1 regulates the DN2 to DN3 thymocyte transition and promotes γδ T-cell commitment by enhancing TCR signal strength. Eur J Immunol. 2014 Sep;44(9):2617-24.
- Smeets MF, Mackenzie-Kludas C, Mohtashami M, Zhang HH, Zúñiga-Pflücker JC, Izon DJ. Removal of myeloid cytokines from the cellular environment enhances T-cell development in vitro. Int Immunol. 2013 Oct;25(10):589-99.
- Smeets MF, Chan AC, Dagger S, Bradley CK, Wei A, Izon DJ. Fli-1 overexpression in hematopoietic progenitors deregulates T cell development and induces pre-T cell lymphoblastic leukaemia/lymphoma. PLoS One. 2013 May 7;8(5):e62346.