Head, Cardiac Regeneration Group
2018 Chair of Conference and Awards committee, Australasian Society for
Stem Cell Research (ASSCR)
2017 Specialist advisor to the Australia Therapeutic Goods Administration
2018 Peer review panel member for the NHMRC Grant Review Working
2012 Principal Investigator and Head Cardiac Regeneration Group, O’Brien
Institute Department, SVI
2010 Senior Research Officer, The O’Brien Institute, Australia
2010 Honorary fellow, Department of Surgery, University of Melbourne
2005-10 Post-doctoral fellow, The Hatter Cardiovascular Institute, UCL, UK
2005 PhD in Physiology and Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde, UK
2002 Master in Pharmacy, University of Strathclyde, UK
2016 European Society of Cardiology/FCVB travel award
2012 HBPRCA Young Investigator Award
2012 APSH Young Investigator Fellowship
2002 Overseas Research Scholarship
Cardiac repair and regeneration, stem cell cardiac differentiation and secretomes, cardiac tissue engineering and organoid model; roles of mitochondrial morphology in cell survival and cardiogenesis.
- Lees JG, Kong AM, Chen YC, Sivakumaran P, Hernández D, Pébay A, Harvey AJ, Gardner DK, Lim SY. Mitochondrial fusion by M1 promotes embryoid body cardiac differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cells International. 2019:6380135.
- Hernández D, Millard R, Sivakumaran P, Kong AM, Mitchell GM, Pébay A, Shepherd RK, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Influence of continuous electrical stimulation on development of human cardiomyocytes from induced pluripotent stem cells. Cond. Med. 2018:1(6):306-12.
- Hoque A, Sivakumaran P, Bond ST, Ling NXY, Kong AM, Scott J, Bandara N, Hernández D, Liu GS, Wong RCB, Ryan MT, Hausenloy DJ, Kemp BE, Oakhill JS, Drew BG, Pébay A, Lim SY. Mitochondrial fission protein Drp1 inhibition promotes cardiac mesodermal differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells. Cell Death Discov. 2018:4:39.
- Nie S, Wang X, Sivakumaran P, Chong MMW, Liu X, Karnezis T, Bandara N, Takov K, Nowell CJ, Wilcox S, Shambrook M, Hill AF, Harris NC, Newcomb AE, Strappe P, Shayan R, Hernández D, Clarke J, Hanssen E, Davidson SM, Dusting GJ, Pébay A, Ho JWK, Williamson N, Lim SY. Biologically active constituents of the secretome of human W8B2+ cardiac stem cells. Sci Rep. 2018:8(1):1579.
- Rosdah AA, Holien J, Delbridge LMD, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Mitochondrial fission – a drug target for cytoprotection or cytodestruction? Pharmacol. Res. Prespective. 2016:4(3):e00235.
- Khanabdali R, Rosdah A, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Harnessing the secretome of cardiac stem cells as therapy for treat ischaemic heart disease. Biochem. Pharmcol. 2016:113:1-11.
- Hernández D, Millard R, Sivakumaran P, Wong RCB, Crombie DE, Hewitt AW, Liang H, Hung SSC, Pébay A, Shepherd RK, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Electrical stimulation promotes cardiac differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cell Int. 2016:1718041.
- Zhang Y, Sivakumaran P, Newcomb AE, Hernandez D, Harris N, Khanabdali R, Liu GS, Kelly DJ, Pébay A, Hewitt AW, Boyle A, Harvey R, Morrison WA, Elliott DA, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Cardiac repair with a novel population of mesenchymal stem cells resident in the human heart. Stem Cells. 2015:33:3100-13.
- Ong SG, Lee WH, Theodorou L, Jodo K, Lim SY, Shukla DH, Briston T, Kiriakidis S, Ashcroft M, Davidson SM, Maxwell PH, Yellon DM, Hausenloy DJ. HIF-1 reduces ischaemia-reperfusion injury in the heart by targeting the mitochondrial permeability transition pore. Cardiovasc. Res. 2014:104(1):24-36.
- Lim SY, Sivakumaran P, Crombie D, Dusting GJ, Pébay A, Dilley RJ. Trichostatin-A enhances differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells to cardiogenic cells for cardiac tissue engineering. Stem Cells Transl. Med. 2013:2(9):715-25.
- Hsiao ST, Dilley RJ, Dusting GJ, Lim SY. Ischemic preconditioning for cell-based therapy and tissue engineering. Pharmacol. Ther. 2013:142(2):141-53.
- Lim SY, Hausenloy DJ. Remote ischemic conditioning: from bench to bedside. Front. Physiol. 2012:3:27.
- Lim SY, Hausenloy DJ, Arjun S, Price AN, Davidson SM, Lythgoe MF, Yellon DM. Mitochondria cyclophilin-D as a potential therapeutic target for post-myocardial infarction heart failure. J. Cell. Mol. Med. 2011:15(11):2443-51.
- Lim SY, Hausenloy DJ, Yellon DM. The neural and humoral pathways in remote limb ischaemic preconditioning. Basic Res Cardiol. 2010:105(5):651-5.
- Ong SB, Subrayan S, Lim SY, Yellon DM, Davison SM, Hausenloy DJ. Inhibiting mitochondrial fission protects the heart against ischemia reperfusion injury. Circulation. 2010:121(18): 2012-22.