Bone cell biology and disease
AO MD DSC FRACP FRCPA FAA FRS
John Holt Fellow, Emeritus Professor of Medicine
Bone Cell Biology and Disease Unit, St Vincent's Institute
1960 MBBS, Melbourne University
1992 MD (Hon Causa) (Sheffield)
2010 Dr. Univ (Hon Causa) (ACU)
2013 Doctor of Laws (Hon Causa) (Melbourne
1974 -1977 Professor of Chemical Pathology, University of Sheffield, U.K.
1988 - 2002 Director of St Vincent's Institute
1977- Professor of Medicine, University of Melbourne
2002 - John Holt Fellow, St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research
2002 - Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Melbourne
1971 Selwyn Smith Prize for Medical Research (shared with C.I.Johnston)
1974 Eric Susman Prize (RACP)
1982 Yamagiwa-Yoshida Memorial International Study Grant
1988 Chemofux Research Prize Matheson Lecturer, University of Melbourne
1990 Roman Lecturer, Australian Association of Clinical Biochemists
1990 Lemberg Medalist and Lecturer, Australian Biochemical Society
1990 Clinical Endocrinology Trust Medal
1992 Dale Medal, Society for Endocrinology, U.K.
1994 William F. Neuman Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
1996 Officer in the Order of Australia (AO), Queen's Birthday Honours
1998 Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science
2000 Fellow of the Royal Society
2003 International Bone and Mineral Society Pieter Gaillard Award
2004 Ramaciotti Medal and Award
2007 Gideon Rodan Award for Excellence in Mentorship, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
2012 Monash University Award for Outstanding Life Achievement
2015 Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Research Society, Career Achievement Award.
Bone cell biology:
The differentiation of osteoblasts and osteoclasts, and how these processes are controlled by cytokines and growth factors in bone and by circulating hormones; how bone cells communicate with each other and with cells of the immune system; the genetic influences on bone cells.
Hormonal regulation of bone and calcium metabolism:
The hormones that influence bone cell function and calcium homeostasis, particularly parathyroid hormone (PTH), PTHrP, vitamin D, calcitonin and estrogen.
Diseases of bone:
Mechanisms of metastasis of cancers to bone, and the involvement of osteoclasts in this process; mechanisms leading to the development of osteoporosis. Approaches to the development of new drugs for the prevention and treatment of bone diseases.
- Sims NA, Jenkins BJ, Quinn JMW, Glatt M, Gillespie MT, Ernst M and Martin TJ. Gp130 regulates bone turnover and bone size by distinct downstream signalling pathways. Journal of Clinical Investigation 113:379-389, 2004 .
- Henderson MA, Danks JA, Slavin JL, Byrnes GL, Choong PFM, Spillane JB, Hopper JL, Martin TJ. Parathyroid hormone-related protein localization in breast cancer predicts improved prognosis. Cancer Research. 66: 2250-2256, 2006.
- Allan EH, Hausler KD, Wei T, Gooi JH, Quinn JM, Crimeen-Irwin B, Pompolo S. Sims NA,Gillespie MT, Onyia JE, Martin TJ. EphrinB2 regulation by PTH and PTHrP revealed by molecular profiling in differentiating osteoblasts. J Bone Min Res 23:1170-1181, 2008.
- Quach JM, Walker EC, Allan E, Solano M, Yokoyama A, Kato S, Sims NA, Gillespie MT, Martin TJ. Zinc finger protein 467 is a novel regulator of osteoblast and adipocyte commitment. J Biol Chem 286: 4186-4198, 2011
- Walia MK, Ho PM, Taylor S, Ng AJ, Gupte A, Chalk AM, Zannettino AC, Martin TJ*, Walkley CR*. Activation of PTHrP-cAMP-CREB1 signaling following p53 loss is essential for osteosarcoma initiation and maintenance. Elife. 2016 Apr 12;5. pii: e13446. doi: 10.7554/eLife.13446.
- Martin TJ. Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein, Its Regulation of Cartilage and Bone Development, and Role in Treating Bone Diseases. Physiol Rev. 2016 Jul;96(3):831-71, 2015.
- Croucher PI, McDonald MM, Martin TJ. Bone metastasis: the importance of the neighbourhood. Nat Revs Cancer 16: 373-386, 2016.
- Bilezikian JP , Martin TJ , Clemens TL, Rosen CJ (Editors). “Principles of Bone Biology” ,Fourth edition. Elsevier, ISBN 978-0-12-814841-9. pp 1982, 2019.
- Sims NA, Martin TJ. Coupling of boné formation and resorption. In : “Principles of Bone Biology”. Eds Bilezikian JP , Martin TJ , Clemens TL, Rosen CJ. Fourth Edition.Elsevier , ISBN 978-9-12-814841-9. Pp 219 – 243, 2019.
- Ho PMW, Chan AS, Pavlos NJ, Sims NA, Martin TJ. Brief exposure to full length parathyroid hormone-related protein (PTHrP) causes persistent generation of cyclic AMP through an endocytosis-dependent mechanism. Biochem Pharmacol 169: 113627.doi:10.1016/j.bcp.2019.
List of all publications