Bone cell biology and disease
AO MD DSC FRACP FRCPA FAA FRS
John Holt Fellow, Emeritus Professor of Medicine
Bone Cell Biology and Disease Unit, St Vincent's Institute
1960 MBBS, Melbourne University
1992 MD (HonCausa), Sheffield University FRACP FRCPA
1974-1977 Professor of Chemical Pathology, University of Sheffield, U.K.
1988-2002 Director of St Vincent's Institute
1977- Professor of Medicine, University of Melbourne
1971 Selwyn Smith Prize for Medical Research (shared with C.I.Johnston)
1974 Eric Susman Prize (RACP)
1982 Yamagiwa-Yoshida Memorial International Study Grant
1988 Chemofux Research Prize Matheson Lecturer, University of Melbourne
1990 Roman Lecturer, Australian Association of Clinical Biochemists
1990 Lemberg Medalist and Lecturer, Australian Biochemical Society
1990 Clinical Endocrinology Trust Medal
1992 Dale Medal, Society for Endocrinology, U.K.
1994 William F. Neuman Award, American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
1996 Officer in the Order of Australia (AO), Queen's Birthday Honours
1998 Fellow of the Australian Academy of Science
2000 Fellow of the Royal Society
2003 IBMS Pieter Gaillard Award
2004 Ramaciotti Medal and Award
Bone cell biology:
The differentiation of osteoblasts and osteoclasts, and how these processes are controlled by cytokines and growth factors in bone and by circulating hormones; how bone cells communicate with each other and with cells of the immune system; the genetic influences on bone cells.
Hormonal regulation of bone and calcium metabolism:
The hormones that influence bone cell function and calcium homeostasis, particularly parathyroid hormone (PTH), PTHrP, vitamin D, calcitonin and estrogen.
Diseases of bone:
Mechanisms of metastasis of cancers to bone, and the involvement of osteoclasts in this process; mechanisms leading to the development of osteoporosis. Approaches to the development of new drugs for the prevention and treatment of bone diseases.
- Walker, E.C., McGregor, N.E., Poulton, I.J., Solano, M., Pompolo, S., Fernandes, T.J., Constable, M. J., Nicholson, G.C., Zhang, J.G., Nicola, N.A., Gillespie, M.T., Martin, T. J., & Sims, N.A. Oncostatin M promotes bone formation independently of resorption when signaling through leukemia inhibitory factor receptor in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2010. 120: 582-592, 2020.
- Walker, E.C., McGregor, N.E., Poulton, I.J., Pompolo, S., Allan, E.A., Quinn, J.M.W., Gillespie, M.T., Martin, T.J., & Sims, N.A. Cardiotrophin-1 is an Osteoclast-Derived Stimulus of Bone Formation Required for Normal Bone Remodeling. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 23(12):2025-2032, 2008.
- Allan, E.H., K.D. Häusler, T. Wei, J. H. Gooi, J.M. Quinn, B. Crimeen-Irwin, N.A. Sims, M.T. Gillespie, J E Onyia, T.J. Martin. EphrinB2 Regulation by Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) and PTHrP Revealed by Molecular Profiling in Differentiating Osteoblasts. J Bone Miner Res. 23(8):1170-81, 2008
- Martin, T.J., Sims, N.A. Osteoclast-derived activity in the coupling of bone formation to resorption. Trends in Molecular Medicine. 11:76-81, 2005.
- Sims, N.A., Green, J.R., Glatt, M., Schlicht, S., Martin, T.J., Gillespie, M.T., Martin, T.J., Romas, E. Targeting osteoclasts with zoledronic acid prevents bone destruction in collagen-induced arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 50, 2338–2346, 2004.
- Sims, N.A., Jenkins, B.J., Quinn, J.M.W., Glatt, M., Gillespie, M.T., Ernst, M., Martin, T.J. gp130 regulates bone turnover and bone size by distinct downstream signaling pathways Journal of Clinical Investigation 113, 379-389; 2004.
- Henderson MA, Danks JA, Slavin JL, Byrnes GL, Choong PFM, Spillane JB, Hopper JL, Martin TJ. Parathyroid hormone-related protein localization in breast cancer predicts improved prognosis. Cancer Research. 66: 2250-2256, 2006.
- Fisher JL, Thomas-Mudge RJ, Elliott J, Hards DK, Sims NA, Slavin JL, Martin TJ, Gillespie MT. Osteoprotegerin overexpression in breast cancer cells enhances orthotopic and osseous tumour growth and contrats with that delivered therapeutically. Cancer Research. 66: 3620-3628, 2006.
- Bilezikian JP, Raisz LG, Martin TJ. (Editors). “Principles of Bone Biology”, Third Edition, Elsevier. ISBN 13-978-0 120373884-4, pp 1942, 2008.
- Gooi JH, Pompolo S, Karsdal MA, Kulkarni NH, Kalajzic I, McAhren SH, Han B, Onyia JE, Ho PW, Gillespie MT, Walsh NC, Chia L, Quinn JM, Martin TJ, Sims NA. Calcitonin impairs the anabolic effect of PTH in young rats and stimulates expression of sclerostin by osteocytes. Bone 46: 1486-1497, 2010.
List of all publications