1978 B Med Sci, University of Melbourne
1980 MBBS, University of Melbourne
1987 Fellowship, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
1989 PhD, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, University of Melbourne
1993 Fellowship, Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia
89-94 Neil Hamilton Fairley Fellowship, NH&MRC
1991 Endocrine Society (USA) New Investigator Award
1992 Golden Jubilee Fellowship, RACP
1995 Viertel Foundation Clinical Investigator Award
1997 Career Development Award, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation
2003 Diabetes Australia Millennium Grant Award
2004 JDRF International Mary Jane Kugel Award
My research group works on the immunopathogenesis of type 1 diabetes. We use pancreatic beta cells and T cells purified from genetically-modified mice to investigate the role of perforin, death receptors and inflammatory cytokines in beta cell death and diabetes. Our team also identified the primary role of autoimmune recognition of proinsulin in type 1 diabetes and we are developing antigen-specific therapies to prevent diabetes. I also lead a Melbourne-wide clinical islet transplant program that began treating diabetic patients by infusion of isolated islet cells in 2006. It is hoped that a detailed knowledge of how beta cells are destroyed in our research studies will indicate the most effective forms of immunoprotection and could eventually allow beta cell replacement as a treatment for type 1 diabetic patients without systemic immunosuppression.
- Krishnamurthy B, Dudek NL, McKenzie MD, Purcell AW, Brooks AG, Gellert S, Colman PG, Harrison LC, Lew AM, Thomas HE, Kay TWH Responses against islet antigens in NOD mice are prevented by tolerance to proinsulin but not IGRP. J Clin Invest 116:3258-65 (2006)
- Chong MMW, Cornish AL, Darwiche R, Stanley EG, Purton JF, Godfrey DI, Hilton DJ, Starr R Alexander WS, Kay TWH Suppressor of Cytokine Signaling-1 is a Critical Regulator of Interleukin-7-Dependent CD8+ T cell Differentiation. Immunity 18:475-8 (2003)
- Chong MM, Chen Y, Darwiche R, Dudek NL, Irawaty W, Santamaria P, Allison J, Kay TWH, Thomas HE Suppressor of cytokine signaling-1 overexpression protects pancreatic beta cells from CD8+ T cell-mediated autoimmune destruction. J Immunol 172:5714-21 (2004)
- Mannering SI, Harrison LC, Williamson NA, Morris JS, Thearle DJ, Jensen KP, Kay TWH, Rossjohn J, Falk BA, Nepom GT, Purcell AW The insulin A-chain epitope recognized by human T-cells is post-translationally modified. J Exp Med 202:1191-7 (2005)
- O’Connell PJ, Holmes-Walker JD, Goodman D, Hawthorne WJ, Loudovaris T, Gunton JE, Thomas HE, Grey ST, Drogemuller CJ, Ward GM, Torpy DJ, Coates PT, Kay TW, On behalf of the Australian Islet Transplant Consortium. Multicenter Australian Trial of Islet Transplantation: Improving Accessibility and Outcomes Am. J. Transplant. 13:1850-8 (2013)
- Coppieters KT et al Demonstration of islet-autoreactive CD8 T cells in insulitic lesions from recent onset and long-term type 1 diabetes patients. J Exp Med 209:51-60 (2012)
- Chee J, Ko H-J, Skowera A, Jhala G, Catterall T, Graham KL, Sutherland RM, Thomas HE, Lew AM, Peakman M, Kay TWH, Krishnamurthy B Effector memory T cells develop in islets and report islet pathology in type 1 diabetes. J. Immunol 192:572-80 (2014)
- Trivedi PM, Graham KL, Scott NA, Jenkins MR, Majaw S, Sutherland RM, Fynch S, Lew AM, Burns CJ, Krishnamurthy B, Brodnicki TC, Mannering SI, Kay TW, Thomas HE. Repurposed JAK1/JAK2 inhibitor reverses established autoimmune insulitis in non-obese diabetic mice. Diabetes. 66:1650-1660 (2017).
- Mannering SI, So M, Elso CM, Kay TWH. Shuffling peptides to create T-cell epitopes: does the immune system play cards? Immunol Cell Biol. 96:34-40 (2018).
- So M, Elso CM, Tresoldi E, Pakusch M, Pathiraja V, Wentworth JM, Harrison LC, Krishnamurthy B, Thomas HE, Rodda C, Cameron FJ, McMahon J, Kay TWH, Mannering SI Proinsulin C-peptide is an autoantigen in people with type 1 diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 115:10732-7 (2018)